Stop me if you’ve heard this one before: I need to make a pivot table but the data is spread out in lots of different Excel files Damnit! This situation blows, since your analysis depends on a pivot table and combining a bunch of workbooks together by hand is terrible. Fortunately, VBA will make short work of this pain in the ass. Here are the steps to combine multiple worksheets with Excel Tables using Power Query: Go to the Data tab. In the Get & Transform Data group, click on the ‘Get Data’ option. Go the ‘From Other Sources’ option.
- Combine Multiple Sheets Into One Sheet In Excel Cell
- Combine Multiple Sheets Into One Sheet In Excel File
- Combine Multiple Sheets Into One Sheet In Excel
- Combine Multiple Excel Sheets Into One Sheet In Excel 2016
- Combine Multiple Sheets Into One Sheet In Excel Pdf
Reading multiple sheet Excel workbooks into SPSS is easily done with this Custom Dialog. This tutorial demonstrates how to use it.
Before You StartSPSS Read and Merge Excel Files Tool
- Make sure you have the SPSS Python Essentials installed.
- Download and install the xlrd module.
- If you'd like to generate some test data as done in the syntax example, you'll need the xlwt module as well.
- Download and install Excel to SPSS Tool. Note that this is an SPSS custom dialog. You'll now find Read and Merge Excel Files under Utilities.
- Close all datasets in SPSS.
SPSS Syntax Example for Generating Test Data
rdir=r'd:temp' # Specify folder for writing test files.
fmt = xlwt.easyxf(num_format_str='M/D/YY')
wBooks = ['book_' + str(cnt) for cnt in range(1,5)]
for noSheets,wBook in enumerate(wBooks):
for sheetNo in range(noSheets + 1):
ws=wb.add_sheet('sheet_%d'%(sheetNo + 1))
for col,cont in enumerate(['date','ID','JobTitle','Revenue']):
for row in range(1,6):
ws.write(row,0,datetime.datetime(2008 + sheetNo,1,1) + datetime.timedelta(days=random.randrange(1,365)),fmt)
wb.save(os.path.join(rdir,wBook + '.xls'))
Reading All Data Into SPSS
Combine Multiple Sheets Into One Sheet In Excel Cell
d:temp, this folder will hold the Excel files. We can simply copy-paste this into the dialog. Other than that, we don't have to change anything. The first row holds the variable names and we'd like all sheets from all workbooks to be read.
Combine Multiple Sheets Into One Sheet In Excel File
Combine Multiple Sheets Into One Sheet In Excel
- By default, the program will read in all .xls files in a folder specified by the user.
- By default, all data from all sheets will be imported. The default of all sheets can be overridden by specifying one or more sheets (see below).
- In order for this to make sense, all sheets in all workbooks are assumed to have similar formats (numbers of columns, column contents).
- By default, it is assumed that the first row of each sheet contains column names. If these conflict, the column names of the last sheet of the last workbook that's read will be used. If no column names are present,
column_2and so on will be used as variable names in SPSS.
Converting Date Variables
Combine Multiple Excel Sheets Into One Sheet In Excel 2016
Combine Multiple Sheets Into One Sheet In Excel Pdf
What if I Don't Want All Sheets to be Read?
- In this case, the desired sheets can be specified. Note that the first sheet is referenced by 1 (rather than 0).
- If two or more sheets are to be read, separate them with commas.
- If sheets that are specified do not exist in one or more workbooks, the command will not run. An error message will indicate the first workbook where this occurred.