A reference to the (mêlon tês Éridos, “apple of Eris”) in Greek mythology, a golden apple inscribed ‘for the fairest female’ which Eris (known as Discordia to the Romans), the goddess of discord and strife, tossed in the midst of the feast of the gods at the wedding of Thetis and Peleus. This provoked a dispute among Aphrodite, Athena, and Hera as to who was the most beautiful, and eventually led to the Trojan War.
There are 34 apple of discord for sale on Etsy, and they cost $277.94 on average. The most common apple of discord material is gemstone. The most popular color? Discord's move follows Apple's removal of the iOS Tumblr blogging app in 2018.At the time, Tumblr said that removal was due to 'media featuring child sexual exploitation and abuse' that has.
The Apple of Discord was the object used by Eris to cause discord among the gods. Eris was not invited to a wedding between Thetis and Peleus. Infuriated by this, she tossed a solid gold apple into the wedding. It had inscribed on it 'TO THE FAIREST'. All of the gods recoiled and most goddesses, but Athena, Aphrodite, and Hera fought over the title. They asked Zeus who it belonged to, and he.
- (Received Pronunciation)IPA(key): /ˈæp(ə)l əv ˈdɪskɔːd/
- (General American)IPA(key): /ˈæp(ə)l əv ˈdɪskɔɹd/
- Hyphenation: ap‧ple of dis‧cord
Discord Apple Store
(pluralapples of discord)
- An object or topic which sowsanger and dissension; something which causes argument, rivalry, or strife.
- 1804 May 19, “Summary of Politics”, in William Cobbett, editor, Cobbett’s Weekly Political Register, volume V, number 20, London: Printed by Cox and Baylis, Great Queen Street; published by Richard Bagshaw, Bow Street, Covent Garden; [...], , column 768:
- He has determined to enter the cabinet surrounded with creatures only, and, as to the Parliament, to trust to his dexterity and strength in throwing the apple of discord, occasions for doing which will, he imagines, soon and frequently occur.
- 1875, Mary H[elen Agnes] Allies, “The Apple of Discord”, in The Life of Pope Pius the Seventh, London: Burns and Oates, Portman Street and Paternoster Row, , page 91:
- He [Pope Pius VII] had hardly regained Rome when a domestic incident in the Bonaparte family became the immediate cause of that struggle between Pope and Emperor which only ended with the downfall of Napoleon's power. This apple of discord was the outraged honour of a Protestant girl, which the Holy Father maintained in the face of her angered Imperial brother-in-law.
- 1992, Monteagle Stearns, “The 70 Percent Solution to Our Military Aid Dilemma”, in Entangled Allies: U.S. Policy toward Greece, Turkey, and Cyprus, New York, N.Y.: Council on Foreign Relations Press, →ISBN, page 40:
- The apportionment of U.S. military assistance to Turkey and Greece has become an apple of discord almost as bitterly disputed by the recipients as the one Aphrodite received from Paris, which touched off the Trojan Wars.
- 2008, Anthonie Th. Polet, “Between Expectations and Reality in the DRC: Opportunities for Cimic”, in Sebastiaan J. H. Rietjens and Myriame T. I. B. Bollen, editors, Managing Civil-Military Cooperation: A 24/7 Joint Effort for Stability (Military Strategy and Operational Art), Aldershot, Hampshire; Burlington, Vt.: Ashgate Publishing, →ISBN, page 123:
- As in the old days when the tribes were fighting each other over hunting grounds, territories and agricultural land, today DRC [the Democratic Republic of the Congo] is prone to many internal conflicts. Especially in the eastern part of the country today's apples of discord appear to be the much-coveted minerals such as gold, diamonds, coltan, and uranium.
Discord Apple Music Connection
- Apple of Discord on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
Its beauty caused a rivalry of three goddesses which acted as the trigger that started the Trojan War.
The Apple of Discord was the object used by Eris to cause discord among the gods.
Eris was not invited to a wedding between Thetis and Peleus. Infuriated by this, she tossed a solid gold apple into the wedding. It had inscribed on it 'TO THE FAIREST'. All of the gods recoiled and most goddesses, but Athena, Aphrodite, and Hera fought over the title. They asked Zeus who it belonged to, and he responded to ask Paris, a mortal prince. They showed him the Apple, and asked the question, bribing him with gifts. He chose Aphrodite, and would cause war between the gods and mortals.
The apple is an important symbol to Erisians aka Discordians who worship Eris.
|v • e||Items|
|Items :||Aegis • Apple of Discord • Automatons • Bident • Kabeirikoi Horses • Kerykeion • Golden Fleece • Head of Medusa • Helm of Darkness • Lightning Bolt • Spear • Talos • Trident of Poseidon • Winged Helmet • Winged Sandals • Zeus' Pelt|