In a surprise push today, Apple has released a software update for iPhones, iPads, and iPods that are supported by iOS 13. Today's iOS and iPadOS 13.4.1 releases are focused on bug fixes.
With iPadOS 13.4, any wired or wireless trackpad or mouse is supported. Previously, mice for iOS devices needed to be supported by the system, but it appears that Apple has removed this limitation.
Most notably, they address a problem caused by iOS/iPadOS 13.4 wherein users running that version could not join FaceTime calls with users running older versions of iOS or macOS—iOS 9.3.6 or OS X 10.11.6 or earlier, to be specific. Users began reporting the issue shortly after iOS 13.4 launched, and the timing was unfortunate given that users have been seeking digital ways to connect with family and friends amidst shelter-in-place orders across the world. Apple claims this issue is now fixed.
- Finally, in conjunction with a Mac running macOS Catalina (10.15), the iPad 6th Gen and later, iPad mini 5th Gen and later, iPad Air 3rd Gen and later, and all iPad Pro models support the 'Sidecar' feature that allows an iOS 13-powered iPad to be used as a second display for the Mac.
- There are many other minor changes in iOS 13.4 and iPadOS 13.4. For instance, the Mail app toolbar has been tweaked to include: Delete, Move, Reply, and Compose options. There are also 9 new Memoji.
Iphone Ios 13.4 Update
iOS 13.4.1 additionally fixed a bug that prevented the Bluetooth option in the quick-actions menu on the homescreen from working. The iPad version of the update also fixes an issue with the flashlight on recent iPad Pro models.Advertisement
Normally, Apple introduces a list of security updates with each version of iOS, but the company's security-updates tracker page currently lists 'no published CVE entries' for this release.
Here are the updates in Apple's words, via its iOS 13.4.1 release notes:
Ipados 13.4.1 Jailbreak
- Fixes an issue where devices running iOS 13.4 could not participate in FaceTime calls with devices running iOS 9.3.6 and earlier or OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 and earlier
- Addresses a bug with the Settings app where choosing Bluetooth from the quick actions menu on the Home screen would fail
Ipad Ios 13.4 Release
iPadOS 13.4.1's release notes have those bullets, too, but they also include this:
- Addresses an issue on iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation) and iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation) where the flashlight may not turn on after tapping the Flashlight button in Control Center or on the Lock screen
Ipad Ios 13.4
These aren't the only changes Apple has introduced to its software products this week. The company appears to have quietly updated its Maps app to prioritize grocery stores at the top of searches and introduce a food delivery search category, all in response to changing habits during regional lockdowns. And the Clips video editing app has received trackpad and mouse support.
Both updates are available today for all iPhone, iPod, and iPad devices supported by iOS 13.