This week, I had the pleasure of picking up Lucifer: Book One by Mike Carey and various artists. The 'Lucifer' represents the gigantic and eternal battle of evil with good. God speaks through Ezekiel thus: 'Thou wast the seal of resemblance, full. Lucifer's Sigil Seal of Satan Occult Reversible SS Medallion Pendant 18' to 30' Chain or Waxed Cord Necklace. From shop PorterGalleryUSA. 5 out of 5 stars.
The Sigil of Baphomet is the official insignia of the Church of Satan. It first appeared on the cover of The Satanic Mass LP in 1968 and later on the cover of The Satanic Bible in 1969. The sigil has been called a 'material pentagram' representational of carnality and earthy principles. The Church describes the symbol as the '...preeminent visual distillation of the iconoclastic philosophy of Satanism.'
In the literature and imagery predating LaVey, imagery used to represent the 'Satanic' is denoted by inverted crosses and blasphemous parodies of Christian art. The familiar goat's head inside an inverted pentagram did not become the foremost symbol of Satanism until the founding of the Church of Satan in 1966. The original goat pentagram containing the Hebrew letters at the five points of the pentagram spelling out Leviathan (לויתן) first appeared in the book La Clef de la Magie Noire by French occultist Stanislas de Guaita, in 1897. This symbol was later used in Maurice Bessy's book A Pictorial History of Magic and the Supernatural, with the words 'Samael' and 'Lilith' removed.
During his years of research into the 'black arts', LaVey had come across this book and added it to his collection. When he chose to turn his magic circle, the Order of the Trapezoid, into the Church of Satan, he decided that the symbol was the one which most fully embodied the principles which were the bedrock of the Satanic church. Contrary to claims made against the Church by detractors, LaVey never claimed to have created this particular symbol. In its formative years, this particular version of the symbol was utilized by the Church on membership cards, stationary, medallions and most notably above the altar in the ritual chamber of the Black House. During the writing of The Satanic Bible, it was decided that a unique version of the symbol should be rendered to be identified exclusively with the Church. The complete graphic now known as the Sigil of Baphomet, named such for the first time in LaVey's The Satanic Rituals, first appeared on the cover of The Satanic Mass LP in 1968 and later on the cover of The Satanic Bible in 1969. This version was drawn by LaVey and attributed to 'Hugo Zorilla' (a pseudonym used by LaVey in some of his art).
The sigil, when combined with the text 'The First Church ov Satan', was previously trademarked by the Church of Satan, but the trademark was abandoned in 2000.
Seal of Lucifer, the Destroyer: “This is the Lucifer most known – he is the Punisher. However, unlike the modern Christian demonization, Lucifer the Destroyer does not dwell in an eternal. The Sigil of Lucifer, the symbol of Satan. A sigil is a magical symbol, a symbol believed to hold connections to a greater supernatural power. Sigils are often related to Religion.
- ^'Extraordinary Goats: Meetings with Remarkable Goats, Caprine Wonders & Horned Troublemakers'. google.com.
- ^'Grimoires: A History of Magic Books'. google.com.
- ^'The Sigil of Satan'. ChurchofSatan.com. Retrieved 2012-11-10.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^ abLewis 2001, pp. 20–21. sfn error: no target: CITEREFLewis2001 (help)
- ^Lewis & Controversial New Religions, pp. 417. sfn error: no target: CITEREFLewisControversial_New_Religions (help)
- ^ abLewis 2002, p. 20. sfn error: no target: CITEREFLewis2002 (help)
- ^Original French: Histoire en 1000 images de la magie, 1961; English edition first published in 1964
- ^Partridge, Christopher (2006-06-20). The Re-Enchantment of the West, Vol 2: Alternative Spiritualities, Sacralization, Popular Culture and Occulture. A&C Black. ISBN9780567041234.
- ^'THE FIRST CHURCH OV SATAN'. Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS). United States Patent and Trademark Office. Retrieved October 7, 2020.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
Media related to Sigil of Baphomet at Wikimedia Commons